If you own a home, you’re probably worried about termites. This is because termites feed on materials that can be part of building a house. And the worst part is that termite colonies can reproduce at an accelerated rate. So by the time you realize you have termites in your home, they will have probably already destroyed something.
There are many testimonials from people who have lost furniture and clothing to termites. But there are also those who have seen their lives put at risk by termites. Termites can eat beams, weakening the structures of a house. Once the structure is weakened, it risks collapsing and hurting someone by falling.
That’s why it’s important to know if you have termites in your home. And, if so, know how to get rid of them. Here we will show you effective methods for getting rid of termites.
How do I know if I have termites in my home?
In order to use termite control methods, you must first be sure that you have termites in your home. There are two ways you can check for termites:
– Observe: You must be very vigilant because you will probably be able to observe the termites with the naked eye. Pay special attention to window frames and the ground.
– Sinking into the wood: termites don’t get along well with light. This is why, if they are eating a piece of furniture or a wooden beam, they are doing so from the inside. If the wood becomes hollow, it will probably sink or break on the surface when it is touched. This is a sign that you have termites in your home.
– Specialist Inspection: If you have any doubts about whether you have termites in your home, a good option is to hire the experts. There are pest control companies that will be able to assess the presence of termites and the level of termite damage.
How can I avoid having termites?
You suspected that you had termites, but it turned out that you didn’t. However, you want to take steps to avoid getting termites. Here are some recommendations.
– Control humidity in your home: the best way to avoid a pest is to not create the right conditions for it to live. There are termite species that are very friendly to moisture. And it turns out that these species are among the most harmful. Make sure there is always ventilation inside your home to avoid humidity. Also, watch out for leaks and damage to pipes.
– Do not feed termites: remember that the main food source of termites is wood. Be sure to cover wood furniture and beams with an insecticide varnish. Also, remember to leave a space between wooden objects and walls.
How do you fight termites?
Once you’ve made sure you really have termites in your home, there are several methods you can use to get rid of them.
– Boric Acid: Boric acid is very useful when it comes to eliminating pests. It is ideal to use when termites have not advanced enough inside a piece of furniture or a structure. Leave the boric acid on the termite sites. You can also prepare a solution of boric acid and water and inject it into the affected furniture.
– Insecticides: In the case of termites, you must find a way for the insecticide to penetrate walls, floors and furniture. The most common method is to make holes in surfaces and deposit the insecticide on them. Since it is a chemical product, there is a risk of intoxication. For this reason you should leave the house where this procedure is being performed for at least two days. Do not try to carry out this process on your own. Contact pest control experts.
– Baits: this method is widely used by professionals. You should contact pest control experts. The objective of baits is to leave poison within reach of the termites, so that they can poison their entire colony. In order for this to work, a study of the behavior of the termites must be conducted.
Without a doubt, termites are a nightmare. However, you have seen that there are several methods to eliminate them. Have you ever had a termite problem at home? What did you do?